Sunday, March 28, 2010

40 Days of Water Challenge


For those of you who know me well, two things are no surprise to you. First, I love coffee. For the past several years I have had coffee every day- multiple cups. Room 128 at Northgate is the Starbucks for the 100 South and 500 halls. Teachers and students are in and out all day getting their cup of joe. A good novel and a latte are a small slice of heaven on earth to me. Secondly, I am very spontaneous. Poor Scott has learned to live with this and is no longer surprised when I say things like "I just redeemed our frequent flyer miles for tickets to Italy" or "I think I'll run a marathon even though I can barely run 5 miles."

These two parts of me collided on February 15th when I read a blog encouraging people to make water their only beverage for 40 days in an effort to raise awareness for those in the world who don't have easy access to clean water and donate the money saved on beverages during that time for wells in Africa. As soon as I read this challenge, I instantly decided to do this. I never thought about how hard it would be- just an instant decision. Then I made the mistake of telling a couple of people, so I was for sure committed then since I have too much pride to go back on something I've said.

Day one was rough beyond belief. I got up and immediately went to the kitchen only to realize there was no brewed coffee. Scott had even unplugged my coffeepot - how thoughtful. I went to school, took the coffee pot in my room to the teacher's workroom, brewed coffee for them then went back to my room empty handed. When my students asked about coffee, I told them they'd have to find another hookup for 40 days. They laughed saying I'd never make it one day much less 40. I had a full body headache by 2:00 p.m. and couldn't think straight by 7:00. Days two and three were slightly better, but Scott even suggested that I might should have a cup or two instead of quitting cold turkey (this was self-defense strategy I think).

I finally adjusted and am so glad I stuck it out. Throughout the last 40 days, I've learned several things. First, what I think is a huge sacrifice, approximately 2 billion people in the world do not even have as an occassional treat - no coffee, no Cokes, no PowerAid, no alcohol or even sweet tea. These people drink water everyday of their life and often the water is not even clean. Second, while I was able to go to the sink to get my water whenever I wanted, most people in the world walk an average of 3 miles to get clean water. This job often goes to the children in families; I cannot image my sweet 10 year old having to walk 3 miles just to get one of life's necessaties. Third, I have abundant resources which could be helping people worldwide who do not have access to things that I take forgranted on a daily basis. Scott and I are becoming more and more convicted of our extravagant lifestyle while so many don't have their basic needs met. Is it right for Christians to live this way? What changes do we need to make in our life to free up more resources for those in need? Fourth, I need to position myself to think about the poor. The American media and culture rarely causes us to think of those who are hungry, orphaned, sick and in need. I am going to have to take the initiative to read about these global issues on my own. Finally, self discipline, though sometimes painful, is always beneficial.

So where does all of this leave me? I'm more aware of those in need and am more committed to helping them. I will cut back on other drinks in order to save money which can be used more wisely. I'll definitely be healthier. Brooke is planning on doing a 7 day water only challenge starting tomorrow. I am borrowing an idea from a friend and plan for our family to eat only beans and rice once a week in order to remember those who eat beans and rice everyday. Lastly, I'm praying that God will continue to open my eyes and heart to those who are less fortunate and guide me in my personal responsibility to them.

So, the next time you raise a glass of your favorite drink of choice, say a silent prayer for those who have no choices in what they eat or drink.

1 comment:

Grace said...

I enjoyed your story Susan. And though I've done this change for different reasons. I was someone who NEVER drank water and now it is my constant companion.